Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash is a hearty fall inspired dish that complements a large Charcuterie Board well, or as a side to a fall or winter dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Click Product to order!
- 1 Acorn squash
- 1 lb Italian sausage chopped
- 1/2 lb red potatoes halved; or White Potatoes; or Heirloom Potatoes
- 1/2 red onion chopped; or White Onion
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 3 oz tomato paste (1 small can)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Colby cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the halved potatoes until tender (about 10 minutes), remove from the water and reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C.
- Cut the stem of the squash to serve as a “lid” for the cooked squash when serving. Check to make sure it stands when placed back on the squash.
- Cut the squash horizontally and take the seeds out with a spoon.
- Butter the inside of the acorn squash and place it in a baking sheet.
- Bake the squash for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan turn heat to medium-high, add oil and Saute the onions.
- Place the potatoes facing down at the bottom of the frying pan, this will give them a nice crunchy crust at the end of the process, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, add garlic, celery, tomato paste and chopped sausage, stir until the sausage is fully cooked (it will turn brown).
- Continue to brown until the squash is ready.
- Take out the squash and spoon out 1/2 a cup from the flesh of both pieces.
- Add the squash flesh to the frying pan and stir to prevent scorching.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese.
- Use a spoon to fill the acorn squash with the mix.
- Add Colby cheese and return the acorn squash back to the oven for 10 more minutes or until the cheese melts and forms a crust.
- Remove from the oven.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme
- Your Sausage stuffed Acorn Squash is ready to be served.