My Aunt gave me this delicious ham and potato soup recipe years ago, and it has quickly become a family favorite. I usually double so we can have leftovers.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup cooked Ham – Purchase Here
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 1/3 cup of onion finely chopped
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper or to taste
- 5 tablespoons Butter – Purchase Here
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk – Purchase Here
- To cook Ham and potato soup, combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender for about 10 minutes
- Then, stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper
- Get a separate saucepan, and melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, slowly stir in milk, to avoid lumps to form. Once all milk is added, continue stirring for about 5 minutes on medium heat, until thick.
- Stir the thicken milk mixture into the stockpot with potato and ham mixture and cook soup until heated through.
- Your ham and potato soup is ready. Serve immediately.
- Although you can garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits and/or chives.